Thursday, June 19, 2008

McCain: No drilling in ANWR (maybe)


Yes, this is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of oil drilling. Blame Warren Moon.


John McCain, on a campaign stop in St. Paul (hey, I know that place) stated his opposition to drilling for oil in the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR.) But on Wednesday, in a speech on the campus of Missouri State University (I remember the 2006 Bracket Buster with sad memories) that he would "be more than happy to examine [drilling in ANWR] again."

McCain says that his position has stayed firm, and that this is not a case of flip-flopping.

“People have said to me, ‘I’m going to bring you new information about ANWR, how environmentally we can make it safe,’” he said. “I’ll be glad to
accept new information but my position has not changed.’


In other words, while he doesn't support drilling in ANWR now, he'd consider it if someone could make an effective case for it being safe.

While McCain does still support increased off-shore drilling to possibly offset the high price of oil, his stance on alternative energy sources remain unchanged since he first ran for president.

Look, I love my petroleum fueled car (not a gas guzzler but not exactly the most fuel efficient car in the world) as much as anyone, but in 2008, isn't it time for a presidential candidate to at least THINK about something other than a finite resource that even one of the world's wealthiest oil men admits isn't going to last forever?

I know we're going to be stuck with oil for the near future, but does anyone want to at least throw a new idea out there?

No comments: